CompTIA A+ certified professionals are proven problem solvers. They support today’s core technologies from security to cloud to data management and more. CompTIA A+ is the industry standard for launching IT careers into today’s digital world.
- The only credential with performance-based items to prove pros can think on their feet to perform critical IT support tasks in the moment
- Trusted by employers around the world to identify the go-to person in end point management & technical support roles
- Regularly re-invented by IT experts to ensure that it validates core skills and abilities demanded in the workplace
The CompTIA A+ Core Series requires candidates to pass two exams: Core 1 (220-1001) and Core 2 (220-1002) covering the following new content:
- Demonstrate baseline security skills for IT support professionals
- Configure device operating systems, including Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS, Android and iOS and administer client-based as well as cloud-based (SaaS) software
- Troubleshoot and problem solve core service and support challenges while applying best practices for documentation, change management, and scripting
- Support basic IT infrastructure and networking
- Configure and support PC, mobile and IoT device hardware
- Implement basic data backup and recovery methods and apply data storage and management best practices
Service Desk Analyst
Help Desk Tech
Technical Support Specialist
Field Service Technician
Associate Network Engineer
Data Support Technician
Desktop Support Administrator
End User Computing Technician
System Support Specialist
|Exam Codes||CompTIA A+ 220-901 and 220-902
(Academy customers use the same codes)
Candidates must complete both 901 and 902 to earn certification. Exams cannot be combined across the series.
| CompTIA A+ 220-1001 (Core 1) and 220-1002 (Core 2)
Candidates must complete both 1001 and 1002 to earn certification. Exams cannot be combined across the series.
|Launch Date||December 15, 2015||January 15, 2019|
|Exam Description||CompTIA A+ 220-901 covers PC hardware and peripherals, mobile device hardware, networking and troubleshooting hardware and network connectivity issues.
CompTIA A+ 220-902 covers installing and configuring operating systems including Windows, iOS, Android, Apple OS X and Linux. It also addresses security, the fundamentals of cloud computing and operational procedures.
| CompTIA A+ 220-1001 covers mobile devices, networking technology, hardware, virtualization and cloud computing and network troubleshooting.
CompTIA A+ 220-1002 covers installing and configuring operating systems, expanded security, software troubleshooting and operational procedures.
|Number of Questions||Maximum of 90 questions per exam||Maximum of 90 questions per exam|
|Type of Questions||Multiple choice questions (single and multiple response), drag and drops and performance-based||Multiple choice questions (single and multiple response), drag and drops and performance-based|
|Length of Test||90 Minutes per exam||90 Minutes per exam|
|Passing Score||220-901: 675 (on a scale of 100-900)
220-902: 700 (on a scale of 100-900)
220-1001: 675 (on a scale of 100-900)
|Recommended Experience||9 to 12 months hands-on experience in the lab or field||9 to 12 months hands-on experience in the lab or field|
|Languages||English, German, Japanese, Portuguese, French, Spanish (Modern), Simplified Chinese and Thai||English at launch. German, Japanese, Portuguese, Thai and Spanish|
English retired July 31, 2019.
|TBD - Usually three years after launch|
|Price||There is no extra price for the exam.||There is no extra price for the exam.|