According to the United Nations' office on Drugs and Crime, imprisonment disproportionately affects individuals and families living in poverty. When an income generating member of the family is imprisoned the rest of the family must adjust to this loss of income, exacerbated by the new expenses that must be met - such as the cost of a lawyer and transport to prison for visits and so on. When released, often with no prospects for employment, former prisoners are generally subject to socio-economic exclusion and are thus vulnerable to an endless cycle of poverty, marginalization, criminality and imprisonment. Thus, imprisonment contributes directly to the impoverishment of the prisoner, of his family (with a significant cross-generational effect) and of society by creating future victims and reducing future potential economic performance.
According to the Federal Register, a notice by the Prison Bureau of Washington, DC dated 07/19/2016, the fee to cover the average cost of incarceration for Federal inmates in Fiscal Year 2015 was $31, 977.65 ($81.60/day). Georgia is currently No 1. in the nation for the number of persons under supervision, be it prison, jail, parole, or probation. The Georgia profile also reports the state’s prison system housing 53,000 inmates while jails around the statehouse an additional 43,000.
Investing in impoverished communities by offering attainable educational opportunities that will ignite a cycle of productivity is in the best interest of the local community and its associated government. When individuals are actively engaged in their communities, working and supporting their families, the community is safer, their families are more economically secure and the change in cognition and behavioral response is generational.
National Cyber Security University is seeking to offer individuals who are at risk of being a casualty of this vicious cycle an opportunity to learn a marketable and profitable skill in the field of cyber security that can potentially free them and their future generations from this crippling cycle.
In The global information technology industry is on pace to reach $5.2 trillion in 2020, according to the research consultancy IDC.
In 2019, it was estimated that cyber-crime reached over $500 Billion. This only means that cyber-crime is consistently increasing and there appears to be no end in sight. According to Indeed.com, by the end of May 2019, there were 9,764 unfilled Cyber Security jobs in Washington, DC and surrounding areas. As of January 6, 2020 more than 640 unfilled full-time jobs in Georgia.
National Cyber Security University is seeking to offer the technical training necessary to allow individuals from the Benning Terrace community to become a part of this lucrative job force.
About Second Chances Program
NCSU’s Second Chances Program begins with a course entitled “Changing Your Mindset”. This is a self-guided program designed to bring awareness to cognitive distortions that lead to maladaptive behaviors. It includes working on adaptive social skills such as active listening; understanding your feelings and how they affect your behavior, how to effectively respond to anger and frustration, as well as problem solving. It also helps students to understand how their previous lifestyle, including who they associate with may disrupt their success. There are two essential objectives that must be met before the student can move forward in the program:
Courses And Certifications:
- Changing Your Mind Set
- Discovering Computers [Certificate Of Completion in Computer Knowledge]
- CompTIA A+ Certification Course Or CompTIA Network+ Or CompTIA Security+
- Microsoft Office [Certificate Of Completion In Basic Understanding Of Microsoft Office]
- How To Build A Website
CompTIA A+ certified professionals are proven problem solvers. They support today’s core technologies from security to cloud to data management and more. CompTIA A+ is the industry standard for launching IT careers into today’s digital world.
- The only credential with performance-based items to prove pros can think on their feet to perform critical IT support tasks in the moment
- Trusted by employers around the world to identify the go-to person in end point management & technical support roles
- Regularly re-invented by IT experts to ensure that it validates core skills and abilities demanded in the workplace
Companies That Use A+
CompTIA Network+ helps develop a career in IT infrastructure covering troubleshooting, configuring, and managing networks.
Network+ ensures an IT professional has the knowledge and skills to:
- Design and implement functional networks
- Configure, manage, and maintain essential network devices
- Use devices such as switches and routers to segment network traffic and create resilient networks
- Identify benefits and drawbacks of existing network configurations
- Implement network security, standards, and protocols
- Troubleshoot network problems
- Support the creation of virtualized networks
Companies That Trust CompTIA Network+ Include
CompTIA Security+ is a global certification that validates the baseline skills you need to perform core security functions and pursue an IT security career.
- No other certification that assesses baseline cybersecurity skills has performance-based questions on the exam. Security+ emphasizes hands-on practical skills, ensuring the security professional is better prepared to problem solve a wider variety of issues.
- More choose Security+ for DoD 8570 compliance than any other certification.
- Security+ focuses on the latest trends and techniques in risk management, risk mitigation, threat management and intrusion detection.
- The new Security+ certification covers the Junior IT Auditor/Penetration Tester job role, in addition to the previous job roles for Systems Administrator, Network Administrator, and Security Administrator.
Organizations That Have Contributed To The Development Of Security+
Three Easy Ways To Take The Course:
- In a classroom setting
- Self-Pace - Work at your own pace. Take courses online, via your computer, cellphone and/or tablet using NCS University App.
- Live online 3 days a week.
Qualification For Enrollment:
NCS University believe in giving people second chances. Any male or female from the ages of 14 or higher can qualify for the Second Chances Program. Individuals can be disqualified for the program, if they have been convicted of the following offences:
- Sex Offence (of any kind)
- Domestic Violence (case-by-case evaluation)
- Violent Crime (anything that was not premeditated (case-by-case evaluation)
NCS University has put together a Second Chance Evaluation Board, that evaluates and approves each application. The evaluation board is made up of:
- NCS University Board Members
- At least one Probation Officer
- A National Job Recruiter
In March of 2019, NCS University partnered with Anthony Taylor ,with Court Services And Offender Agency in Washington, DC to register 14 returning citizens in the Second Chance Program.
Here are the results:
- Number of people registered in March of 2019 - 14
- As of January 1, 2020, still in the program - 9
- The number of people who have completed the program - 4
- The number of people who will have finish the program by March of 2020 – 6
The five individuals who are no longer in the program, is because they violated their probation, unrelated to NCS University or Second Chance.
The time completion time for the program depends on a few factors:
- How much time can the student dedicate to the program?
- How motivated the student may be?
- How much prior knowledge in computers does the student have?
- Are they taking the course in a classroom or online?
A student can complete the Second Chance Program within 3 to 6 months, depending on how motivated the student may be. If the student has prior computer experience, they may be able to complete the course within 2 to 3 months. If the student is not as motivated and/or does not have any prior computer knowledge it may take the student 12 months to complete the program.
Cost For Second Chances Program:
Pricing is customized for each organizations.
All Courses, Social Programs, Free Seminars & Courses
Changing Your Mind Set18 Lessons Free
All Courses, IT Networking And Cyber Security, Kids & Teen Courses, Specials And Promotions
CompTIA A+ 2019 | Self Study156 Lessons $199.00
All Courses, Business Courses, Social Programs, Kids & Teen Courses
Microsoft Office27 Lessons Free
All Courses, Business Courses, Kids & Teen Courses, Free Seminars & Courses
How To Build A Website12 Lessons Free